Pet Dangers In The Garden

Not All Shamrocks Are Lucky

Some plants are deceiving as you don’t think there is danger lurking especially shamrocks as they are believed to bring luck. Both green and purple shamrocks as well as Rhubarb and Sour Starfruit contain a soluble oxalate crystal that can wreak havoc on all pets.

An animal will have to eat a large ingestion of any one of these plants for it to be toxic, but it can affect your pet’s stomach, kidneys and muscular systems. It would take 24-36 hours for you the oxalate crystal to cause your pet distress.

Signs and Symptoms would include hypersalivation, anorexia, vomiting and diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, tremors, and depression

Treatment: With treatment your pet can recover well but might have a sore tummy for a while.

Cats And Lilies Don’t Mix

Day Lilies, Easter Lilies, Tiger Lilies, and Oriental Lilies are beautiful plants that return each year bringing bright colors to your garden. Small amounts of their leaves, petals or even vase water can be toxic to cats. If your cat has eaten any, it may act tired, vomit, refuse to eat, and not urinate.

If treated early enough with IV fluids and medications to protect its stomach, your cat should recover fairly well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

Recent Twitter Updates

Other Pet News